10/15/09 - Zarlink Semiconductor (TSX:ZL) announced enhancements to its recently introduced Timing over Packet (ToP) products to support strict timing requirements for 3G and 4G Radio Access Network (RAN) equipment. Zarlink's IEEE 1588 ToP products allow timing and synchronization information to be carried directly over packet networks, providing carriers with a real alternative to costly global positioning systems (GPS). Infonetics Research estimates the RAN equipment market will reach US$10.9 billion by 2013, from US$4.6 billion in 2008.
"Investments in next-generation Radio Access Networks are accelerating, with our ToP products now designed in with major equipment suppliers who represent over 50 percent of the RAN market," said Jeremy Lewis, product line manager with Zarlink's Timing and Synchronization product group. "Our highly integrated ToP products simplify and speed the design of new network equipment to allow manufacturers to reach market quickly. The products meet all synchronization requirements, including time alignment, as wireless networks evolve from GSM through GPRS and EDGE to WiMax and LTE. By deploying Zarlink's ToP products, carriers can gradually evolve to a more cost-effective packet network that supports a wider range of services."
Zarlink's ToP products allow timing and synchronization information to be distributed between radio network controllers and remote base stations directly over a higher bandwidth packet network. As a result, operators can replace expensive multiple leased lines traditionally used to backhaul voice traffic between cell sites with a more affordable packet infrastructure.
Zarlink's ToP products have been successfully demonstrated over a number of networks. Frequency accuracy of less than 30 parts per billion (ppb) and time alignment of less than plus/minus 1 microseconds (usec) can be achieved over five nodes using a cost-effective temperature compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO). A detailed performance report is available to qualified customers.
Zarlink's ToP devices are currently in volume production. For more information visit the product profiles on Zarlink's website. Complete information on Zarlink's ToP products, including full data sheets and application notes, is available to qualified customers. To learn how to become a qualified customer, contact your local sales representative.
- ZL30310 Combined Synchronous Ethernet and IEEE1588 Network Synchronization: http://www.zarlink.com/zarlink/hs/82_ZL30110.htm
- ZL30312 Combined Synchronous Ethernet and IEEE1588 Network Synchronization: http://www.zarlink.com/zarlink/hs/82_ZL30312.htm
- ZL30314 Combined Synchronous Ethernet and IEEE1588 Network Synchronization: http://www.zarlink.com/zarlink/hs/82_ZL30314.htm
- ZL30316 Combined Synchronous Ethernet and IEEE1588 Timing over Packet Technology: http://www.zarlink.com/zarlink/hs/82_ZL30316.htm
- ZL30320 Combined Synchronous Ethernet and IEEE1588 Timing over Packet Technology: http://www.zarlink.com/zarlink/hs/82_ZL30320.htm